Tuesday 17 December 2013

BRAIN

Over the past month or so I have been reading Alan Fletcher- The Art of Looking sideways. It has become my new found Bible. This book is defiantly a must read and even calling it a book is an understatement. It could broaden the narrowest of minds and it has open all kinds of possibilities when it comes to my own way of thinking. I just wanted to write a quick little review on a page in the chapter that I fount most relevant in my recent brief. The 'Brain chapter,

Fletcher spoke in his 'Brain- I am my brains publisher" chapter on a small crumb he thought was from a ginger biscuit. But as he focused and watched the crumb "Reality intruded. Actually it was a tiny orange spider. I think they're called money spiders". He then went on to speak about how money spiders have the ability to design and re-design webs over and over again. His writing then followed one rhetorical question after another making me ask myself my own questions. Are mind sets genetically formed or is it taught? Why is it a spider naturally knows how to spin a web, but we are taut how to walk? Why is an animal as small as a crumb can live without looking at anything with real value? His style of writing is very personal and the whole book simply follows his chain of thought. Being able to read and indulge myself  in The Art of Looking Sideways and the style of writing, creates more of a learning than simple words on a page and brings the book to life.

It helped me in my recent brief to see things as they aren't usually perceived. It taught me to always question what is and the value of everything you see, is only based on your own judgement. It also personally made me understand that its okay if I don't know everything, as long as I know something.

"If our minds are simple enough to be understood then we would be too simple to understand them"

Merry Crimbo, Megan Clayton.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting, where did you get the book? And is that a quote of yours or Alan Fletcher at the end?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got my copy from the library but I'm sure you can get it on amazon, and yeah it's from the 'Brain' chapter :)

    ReplyDelete